Most believe Cinco de Mayo to be the Mexican Independence Day, however, that is incorrect. It actually marks the victory of the Mexican army at the Battle of Puebla over France on May 5, 1862, which is 50 years after Mexico’s Independence Day. Luckily for us, corporations began promoting the day to sell their consumer products, which in consequence, also promoted a day full of margaritas and Mexican food! Here is our list of the five most authentic Mexican recipes that are perfect for your Cinco de Mayo fiesta.
1. Chicken Enchiladas with Mole Sauce: For those looking to cook an authentic Mexican sauce for Cinco de Mayo, this is ideal. Mole has become one of the most popular sauces of Mexican cuisine, so much so, that three states in Mexico have claimed the origin of it. No matter where mole began, we can’t help but be thankful for these enchiladas with mole sauce!
2. Guacamole: No need to pay extra for these avocados! With this guacamole recipe courtesy of Roberto Santibañez, an ambassador for Mexican cuisine and a renowned chef from Mexico City who made urban contemporary Mexican cuisine cool in his Brooklyn and Manhattan restaurants, it is safe to say that this guacamole recipe is the real deal.
3. Grilled Shrimp Tacos: Everyone loves tacos, but if you are one of the (very) few that do not love tacos, we believe this recipe will convert you into a taco believer. With grilled shrimp, fresh lime juice, sliced avocado and cabbage, you’ll have everything you need for a colorful and healthy meal. For some extra goodness, you can lightly drizzle a chipotle-lime crema on top of each taco. For those looking to add the crema without the extra calories, switch out the sour cream with a Greek yogurt. Any way you make this recipe, the colorful dish will be filled with fresh flavors your taste buds will thank you for.
The Girl Who Ate Everything
4. Pork Carnitas: “Slow and steady wins the race” is the M.O. for this recipe. Although it takes six hours to slow cook the meat, the flavors your guests will enjoy is worth the wait. To make the most of the time, you can put the meat in the slow cooker before you head to work on Friday and come home to a nearly finished meal!
Gimme Some Oven
5. The Original Margarita: No celebration is complete without a margarita straight from Cointreau. Made with only fresh lime juice, tequila and Cointreau, this recipe is simple and effortless. If you want to mix it up a bit, add a dash of Grand Marnier for an extra kick.
If you are having friends or family over or just cooking for yourself, these dishes are guaranteed to make your Cinco de Mayo weekend packed with flavor.
If you live in Phoenix, Arizona, and do not feel like cooking this Cinco De Mayo, check out our list of The Best Authentic Mexican Restaurants In The Phoenix Area.