The Summer Solstice is the longest day of the year and the official start of summer. The solstice occurs when the sun reaches the highest point in the sky and at the furthest point from the equator. This means that the sun is visible for a longer period of time, over 12 hours to be exact, making sunset later in the day on June 21st. Every city is different for the exact time of the solstice, so check it out beforehand. Celebrate summer solstice by incorporating one of the six suggestions below to the longest day of the year.
1. Wake up and enjoy the sunrise: If you aren’t usually a morning person, the solstice is the perfect day to change that. Wake up early, brew a cup of coffee and sit outside and watch the sunrise. If you do wake up early, you’ll get to enjoy those extra hours of sunshine and pack more activities into your day.
2. Read a book outside: It may sound simple, but since you have extra time in the sunlight, why not take this time to enjoy a good book outside? You can get your Vitamin D while soaking up knowledge by flipping the pages in your newest novel. After work or early in the morning would make a perfect time to relax for the day. Have nothing to read? Expand your boundaries by looking at the NY Times bestsellers or checking out what is recommended on Goodreads.
3. Exercise in the great outdoors: Since the solstice is on a weekday, why not take a long run outside, hike on a nearby trail, or bike for an extra hour after work? It’s the perfect evening to fit in a workout that will revitalize you for the rest of the week to come. If you prefer to exercise in the morning, start the day with sun salutations and connect with nature.
4. Host a barbecue: Have some friends over to cook and enjoy the official start of summer with a barbecue. Now, you can turn a regular day into a party with simple summer decor, new music and delicious recipes. Why not enjoy the extra hours of light with your closest friends while cooking up a storm; it’s summer now!
5. Enjoy happy hour at your local bar: It’s the first day of summer, so enjoy happy hour at your local bar while it’s light outside. If there’s a rooftop bar or a place with an outdoor patio, even better!
6. Catch a baseball game: Catch a baseball game! The Rays, Dodgers, Marlins, Braves, Texas Rangers and Rockies are all playing at home, making it perfect for any IMT resident to catch a game across the nation. Plus, the sunset is bound to be beautiful from a stadium view while your home pitcher strikes out the opposing batter.
How are you going to celebrate the summer solstice? Comment below and let us know!
Are you looking for a luxury apartment or townhome? Look no further than IMT Residential!